firstname.lastname@example.org - PART 2
I assume that a lot of layers were recorded and blended together, but I'd like if you could share information about:
- the mics used (which one to get what result in which bandwith along the frecuency spectrum: AKG 414 / Shure SM57 / sennheiser MD 421 ?),
- what were the guitars used to get those tones(PRS Custom / Gibson Les Paul ?)
- what were the guitar amps and cabinets used (Mesa Boogie?).
An extra question goes about ambiance miking and mixing:
- Have you used them to get this kind of tones?
- If you did, what kind of room is needed to set that guitar wall in the mix then (small room / mid room / big room??)
- Was it mono/ST, more than than one mic ?
- How do you get space left for voices after that amazing guitar wall? Whats the trick to pay attention on?
For Fear and Incident.... two mics... 421/57 combo. No ambient mic-ing...all close mic-ed. 57 for the "rip" high end... 421 for the guts...
very small room.....
cab was an old Marshall 1976... 25 Watt Greenbacks the amps were two marshall heads...on old JMP 120 modded by Mark Cameron the other was a 30th anniversary head.
space for the voices is done by selective panning and if you notice...most of the really big guitars happen when there is no vocals...
email@example.com - PART 3
The last one! Talking about guitars production in PT, in your opinion what would be the balance between the guitar sounds that were made from a tradicional guitar recording way (Guitar/Reamp + Pedals + Amps + Mics + Preamps) from those that could have come from plug ins or digital processors such as Line 6 PODs, etc? Expressed in percentange, could you give us a relation?
I'd like to ask you all this questions in person and learn from you for sure, but I live in Argentina and I guess were live a little bit far way.
Thanks a lot John!
firstname.lastname@example.org - PART 1
I'm glad to have a way of communication to be able to ask you some questions about guitar audio production during recording processes. For that, thank you!
I'm refering myself to those heavy guitar sounds like the ones Porcupine Tree had come us used to listen. I understand that you were a great part of the production of those particular dense and deep sounds, and that they were recorded in Florida between SW and yourself.
An example of the sound I'm looking for would be something like the guitars that we can feel in 'The Incident' from minute 1:34 (talking about track number 6 of the PT record that shares the same name of the song). Or 'Way out of Here' from minute 4:49 (Fear for a Blank Planet).